Sunday, September 4, 2011

Kitchen Overview - West Wall & The Refrigerators


On the west wall, there is a 24" wide 80" tall full depth pantry cabinet. I have one of those removable 3M Command hooks holding the apron on the side. There's room for some storage above the cabinets. I put some liquor bottles and a basket up there. You can see some of the cabinets on the north wall that are a little higher (at the 88" level). The ceiling slopes up, so we could go higher with the cabinets on the north wall.

We have a an EdgeStar 30 Bottle Built-In Wine Cooler Refrigerator under the counter in the corner. The fan seems to cycle on and off quite a bit, but I emailed the company and they said that it is supposed to work that way. It's a little noisy, but I don't notice it anymore.


The refrigerator is a Frigidaire Gallery FGHB2844LE2 french door model. I'm not sure I'm thrilled with the french door style. I got it because I dislike side-by-sides and I wanted the water & ice dispenser option, which doesn't tend to come on top/bottom freezer styles. Also, we wanted a large refrigerator, and the largest tend to be french door models. A left-hinged door would have been better, since the counter is to the right of the fridge. With the french doors, you kinda want an island or something where you can put stuff when loading/unloading the fridge.


The ice/water dispenser: The crushed ice isn't very crushed, but it is crunched a bit. The water works great, it reminds you when to change the filter as well. The ice dispenser doesn't dispense very fast, and jams up occasionally. 


I wish I hadn't gotten a refrigerator with the smooth/shiny finish. It shows smudges and fingerprints easily. But the rougher finish isn't so popular anymore. I guess the textured finish on a refrigerator just isn't considered stylish. Everything has to be shiny & sleek now. The black plastic drip tray below the dispenser also shows water deposits pretty badly. I would pay a few bucks if I could get a drip tray made of stainless or maybe some kind of ceramic or glass. It's just so difficult to clean the hard water deposits from plastic.

1 comment: